Thursday, August 19, 2010

AA Sponsor Problem / How to ';fire'; your sponsor?

My sponsor is driving me nuts. She is a know it all, she gets mad at me because I didn't realize ';she already told me that'; whenever I find something I hear in a meeting that I like. (A saying or something). Then she accuses me of not listening to her. She interrupts me, and doesn't let me respond or finish a sentence. She gives me random assignments (not from AA books) and doesn't tell me when she wants them done then yells at me when I don't have them done the next day. My friend died yesterday and I just wanted to lay in bed and didn't go to a meeting and she was trying to catch me in a lie about it. She pushes her religion on me, making me buy Buddhist books when I told her I have a religion I identify with. Her response is ';well I enjoy thinking about new ideas and I wish you did too.'; She wants me to call her everyday with an idea I got out of any spiritual book and tell her what it means to me, if I read the sentence to her she tells me ';I could read if if I wanted to read it, I want to know what it means to you'; Then I say two words she cuts me off and rambles on for an hour. The woman is making me nuts. I don't care about anything she has to say any more and the idea of calling her just stresses me out. I have stopped going to meetings altogether and been really grumpy because I don't know how to break up with my sponsor.AA Sponsor Problem / How to ';fire'; your sponsor?
It's really easy. You just say: ';this isn't working out for me.'; And then if she calls you, don't pick up the phone.





Sigh. I can't stand AA, but at least I was lucky enough during my years there to have a relatively sane sponsor. Most of them are nuts. Maybe I should have stuck around to present a voice of sanity, but the loons drove me out the door.AA Sponsor Problem / How to ';fire'; your sponsor?
Tell her that she's not providing a supportive environment for you and that you would like another sponsor. You're not the first one to feel this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment